Re: cutomize default desktop icons

On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 01:10, Jehan Procaccia int-evry fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I search the lists and google, and I can't find a way to have for example
> a netscape icon on the a default desktop for all my users. It could also
> be an icon on the panel if it is easier ...
>
> I would like to have something like simply creating a netscape.desktop
> file somewhere like /usr/share/gnome/desktop/netscape.desktop, so that
> every user logging to the workstation get defaults icons on their desktop
> or in the panel .
>
> I hope there's a better way than copying a ~user/.gnome-desktop of a model
> user to everyone's ~user/.gnome-destop directory -> what a waste of
> space,time and maintenance !.

Unfortunately, the desktop is just another directory. As such it
wouldn't make sense to have icons on it be anything other than files. It
shouldn't be too hard to write a quick script to copy a netscape.desktop
file to everyone's .gnome-desktop directory. In the future, you should
be able to add that to /etc/skel.

--Ben