Gnome Panel Broken

Dear All

I recently updated some of my Gnome 1.4 packages; now the panels are malfunctioning.

Applets can no longer be added to panels. The menus (i.e. panel > add to panel > applet > etc.) work, but all that gets added to the panel is a Gnome footprint/question mark icon, which doesn't do anything, and which has no properties (i.e there's no properties option in its right-click menu). Especially annoying: the applets I already had in the panels (tasklist and mini-commander) were removed and replaced by these question mark icons.

Any leads appreciated.

* Background:

I am currently running Gnome 1.4 on SuSE 7.2.

I uninstalled the rpms for, and installed the source for:

            rpm        source
gdk-pixbuf  ?          0.14.0
gnome-vfs   ?          1.0.3
libxml      1.8.11-53  1.8.16
oaf         0.6.5-30   0.6.7

I did './configure --prefix="/opt/gnome" ' for each, as SuSE puts GNOME in /opt.

Best wishes

Ivan Uemlianin