XMMS Preferences glitch

   I've been fighting with my SoundBlaster PCI512, trying to get it
to make noise -- any kind of noise, whatsoever -- on my FreeBSD 4.4
box. While trying different things, I found something curious...
When I opened the xmms Preferences dialog while running Gnome as a
regular user, xmms froze; clicking anywhere in one of its windows
caused my PC speaker (the tinny little thing inside the case -- not
the ones I _want_ to hear) would beep.  My only recourse was to kill
xmms.  If I opened the Preferences dialog as root, I had no problem.
I tried it without running Gnome and I had no problem setting
preferences as either a regular user or root.

--
"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."
-- Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)