Re: Gnome to be based on .NET?

On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 22:52, Crispin Wellington wrote:
[snip]
> > How is he doing that?  Neither Mono nor GNOME are, or are going to be,
> > closed source.
>
> open source != Free
>
> >  X11 license is just as (well, heck, more) free as the
> > GPL/LGPL GNOME uses now.
>
> I disagree emphatically.
>
> MIT/X
> -----
> Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
> copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
> "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
> without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
> distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
> permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to
> the following conditions:
>
> The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
> in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
> -----
>
> Where is the garuntee of Openness? I take your MIT/X licenced code,
> modify it substantially, close it up and sell/sublicence it. No source
> code. Your not allowed to see *my* changes.
>
> Freedom to be enslaved is no freedom at all.
>
> MIT/X cant even be construed as more 'free' as in price.
[snip]

If you don't like the MIT/X license how are you using gnome - unless you
have some GPL XFree server that you're not telling us about.

Paul

Paul Cooper                             |  Tel: 0121 331 7858
Senior Programmer and Database Engineer |  Fax: 0121 331 7859
UCEcom                                  |  mailto:pgc ucecom com
University of Central England           |  http://www.ucecom.com
Birmingham, B4 7DX                      |