Re: "System" font

On Sat, 2002-02-02 at 18:56, David Hampton wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-02-02 at 08:18, Lionel Lecoq wrote:
>
> I'm running RedHat 7.2 with Ximian Gnome and XFree86 4.2.0.
> Xconfigurator doesn't recognixe the Matrox G550, but its the same driver
> as for the G450 and the X log file does explicitly call it by the name
> G550 so it is recognized.  I didn't ask on the X list because this
> problem seemes like a GTK/Gnome font size problem, not an X install
> problem.  Everything else works fine, its just that the menu font is way
> too large.

It may be an X problem. I remember having difficulty with some
fonts on an ATI chipset because the dots-per-inch value in
the X server was set incorrectly. If you look in the X
server log,

grep DPI /var/log/gdm/:0.log

do you see a reasonable value (75,75) or maybe (100,100)?
My problem was that the system tried to autodetect this value
and got it dreadfully wrong (325,325)! You can force the
DPI value in whatever script starts the X server. For gdm
you would put a line like

0=/usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 75

in the [servers] section of /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf.

Peter

--
       Home:                           Work:
Email: prw wainpr demon co uk          peter wainwright nrpb org