Re: Root username

One more perhaps-unneccessary note, if I'm correct in assuming you're coming from the Windows end of things...

Case matters in Linux, so the account is "root" but not "Root" or "ROOT".

This is one instance where I find myself agreeing with the Windows way of doing things (I realize that's heresy, but please be nice). I've never heard anyone give a convincing defense of why it's worthwhile to allow two distinct files with names that only differ by their case.

But since it does matter and people with big beards will beat to death anyone who suggests that it should be changed, I'm just taking this opportunity to meekly point out that one needs to remember the fact. :-)

--
Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering