Re: running gdm off smb volume

Thank you for replying... It seemed to be a permissions problem  I changed
the way pam_mount handles the permissions to be wide open on the mounted
volume (dmask/fmask = 777) and it worked that way-- but I can't leave it
this way, since it's a terminal system and anyone could access anyone's
files while they are logged in.  Really only the individual user should
have any access to this directory...

Any ideas on what to do?  T.I.A., Dave

jirka 5z com writes:
>On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 12:49:51PM -0400, David Leuser II wrote:
>> I'm trying to run GDM off an SMB mounted home directory (mounted from an
>> NT server via pam_mount at login, see
>> http://www.flyn.org/projects/pam_mount).  It doesn't work... and I not
>> only need to make it work, but I've heard it can.  Anybody know where I
>> can go for help? PLEASE?
>>
>> If I try to login graphically, the login box disappears, the computer
>> "thinks" a minute, then the login dialogue comes back.  Yes, I'm asking
>> for help before I even start...
>
>Which version are you running, can you turn on debugging in the config
>file and
>see what you get in the /var/log/messages file?
>
>George

David M. Leuser, II
Assistant Network Administrator
New Hampton School
(603) 744-3182 x121
dleuser newhampton org
"Picture the root account as a magic hat that gives you lots of power,
with which you can, by waving your hands, create or destroy entire cities.
Because it is easy to wave your hands in a destructive manner, it is not a
good idea to wear the magic hat when it is not needed, despite the
wonderful feeling. " -- Gnome User's Guide