Re: GNOME2 not starting correctly

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 00:20, Ivens Porto wrote:
> I installed all packages listed in the GNOME
> Instalation guide except nautilus
[...]
> there's no desktop (no icons appears on top of the
> background, and I can't create new icons on the desktop).

Desktop icons are provided by nautilus. No nautilus, no desktop. The new
nautilus is much faster than the 1.x one, and your machine is certainly
capable of running it, so maybe give it a try

> gnome2 starts, but all my windows have no borders

this and the rest of your probs tell me that now windowmanager is
running. Did you install sawfish 2.0 or metacity?
If so, try 'killall sawfish && sleep 5 && sawfish&' or 'killall sawfish
&& sleep 5 && metacity&' or 'killall sawfish && sleep 5 && icewm&'. When
you get a wm running, do a 'gnome-session-save'