Trying to compile GConf for Gnome2

Hello all,

I am trying to compile Gnome2 from scratch and I have come up against a
problem with GConf-1.2.0.  This is the error I am getting when trying to
do a "make":

gconfd.c: In function `main':
gconfd.c:484: warning: implicit declaration of function `setlocale'
gconfd.c:484: `LC_ALL' undeclared (first use in this function)
gconfd.c:484: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
gconfd.c:484: for each function it appears in.)

I've read in the archives that I might have to add:
"#include <locale.h>" to gconf/gconf.c

I've done this, but I am still getting the same error.  I am trying to
compile Gnome2 into a new specific prefix (/usr/local/gnome2) along side
Gnome1.4, I was told that this should be allowed.  I am following these
instructions:
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/installation.html
and I've already done the prepare section from this site:
http://karubik.de/gig/2.0/

Nothing is working.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Lup
System is: RedHat 7.3 with all latest Ximian Red Carpet updates

P.S. If this is not the correct list to ask this, please let me know.