Re: Speed suggestions (previously about laptop performace)

Owen Taylor wrote:

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:

	I also have patches, pending Kris' return to do itimer profiling using
the same engine, a fusion of 'eazel-tools/prof' and 'memprof', which is
rather nice [ although symbol problems, ie. it often lies about the
methods taking the time, make it less effective ].

The symbols problem is almost certainly libtool's -export-symbol-regex
removing the wrong symbols. If you apply James's patch to fix that, or hack the line:

   LIBTOOL_EXPORT_OPTIONS='-export-symbols-regex "^[[^_]].*"'

in gtk+/configure.in to remove the optin and then recompile GTK+,
I think things will be a lot better.
In case anyone is wondering, my libtool patch is at:
 http://www.daa.com.au/~james/files/libtool-1.4.2-expsym-linux.patch

This will patch the libtool.m4 file so that the resulting libtool script will handle -export-symbols-regex correctly on Linux. I have another patch that should fix things on all ELF platforms using gnu ld, but I haven't tested it on any other systems. It is available at:
 http://www.daa.com.au/~james/files/libtool-1.4.2-expsym.patch

I would appreciate reports of success or failure on other platforms with this patch.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au   http://linux.conf.au/
WWW: http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ | Jan 22-25 Perth, Western Australia.