Re: Speed suggestions (previously about laptop performace)

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 02:34:07PM +0100, hobbit aloss ukuu org uk wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 05:45:27PM +1000 or thereabouts, David T. Bath wrote:
> > On 02-Aug-2002 Telsa wrote

> That has to be Valgrind, which just hit version 1.0. It lives at
> http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/ I should note that, as Julian
> pointed out, the URL doesn't mean it won't work on Gnome apps :)
>
> I am not a hacker, but I am told it is very very good indeed.

I've played around with it in the last few days, and I like it very
much, indeed. I've found some illegal memory accesses and memory leaks
that had slipped me with it.

But unfortunately I found it hard to use with GNOME 1.4, and nearly
impossible to use with GNOME 2.0, since it found a lot of positives in
the libs. (I hope/fear it was the libs and not my code...)

I think it's a very good idea to start using Valgrind on a regular
basis. I definately plan this for my own apps.

> Doesn't have to be memprof: Valgrind will handle most Gnome apps.
> Back in February it had some trouble with threaded apps. I don't
> know whether that's still true.

Haven't noticed any particular problems.

 - Sebastian