Problems with themes

I have a Sun Ultra 5 running Debian 3.0 that I recently installed Gnome2
to. I did the installation by hand, building all the packages in order
as specified in the install doc on the Web site. Everything is up and
running. I can't, however, change my GDM or Metacity theme. I built
metacity-setup which seems to freeze anytime I attempt to import a new
theme so I unpacked the themes to the /usr/share/metacity/theme folder
and they show up as options. I can select them but nothing changes.
gconf-editor shows that the new theme is my theme choice but it
certainly doesn't look it.

Similarly, I have attempted to add a new theme to the GDM graphical
greeter. I can see where the theme has been selected but I don't get the
theme. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I have a couple of desktops that I have been running Gnome2 on under
Gentoo since Gentoo released the ebuild so I'm not a stranger to Gnome2.
I'm just stumped as to what the problem is. I'm wondering if it's some
sort of permissions problem. Of course, I get no error messages and no
logs. It's all very frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ric