re: gnome panel memory problems

>> Problem: the panel refuses to remember added applets.  For example, if I
>> right click on a panel and choose
>>
>> Panel | Add to panel | $anything
>>
>> the chosen object is added to the panel.  However, next time I log on,
>> it has disappeared.  Choosing 'Save current session' from the Control
>> Centre has no effect.
>
>I believe the file in question is ~/.gnome/panel. Make sure it's
>writable. If that doesn't work try logging out of gnome, backing up
>~/.gnome, and logging back into gnome, letting it recreate your
>preferences directory.
>
>--Ben

Thanks very much for your help. However, none of this worked. My frustration mounted to such a level that I resolved to work it out for myself. I have found the problem and a work-around. Here is the story:

The problem actually occurs with 'Add to panel | Launcher from Menu' but 'Add to panel | Launcher ...' works OK. My work around is that I do 'Add launcher from menu', copy down the properties, remove the launcher, and then do 'Add launcher ...' typing in the properties manually.

The file involved is ~/.gnome/panel.d/default/Applet_config. Adding a launcher to a panel adds the following entry to this file. 'Add launcher ...' also writes a launcher properties file (frobate-*.desktop) into launchers/.

# for 'Add launcher from menu'
[Applet_1]
id=Launcher
base_location=Emacs.desktop
position=355
panel=0
unique_panel_id=1241608193
right_stick=true

# for 'Add launcher ...'
[Applet_2]
id=Launcher
base_location=frobate-003d7b7c47.desktop
position=406
panel=0
unique_panel_id=1241608193
right_stick=true

For some reason my Gnome startup is unable to resolve the 'base_location=Emacs.desktop' in the launcher-from-menu entries. Putting an absolute path doesn't help. Any ideas?

Best wishes

Ivan