Changing keyboard languages? (between French and English)

Can anyone tell me how to switch the keyboard mapping/locale
from a French keyboard to an English (eg. US) mapping?
I am running RedHat 7.0 Linux (Gnome-core-1.2.1).

Ideally, I would like to be able to do this as a normal user (not root)
and easily switch between different keyboard layouts like you can on
WINDOWS 2000!

I have hunted thru the Gnome docs and on the web, but cannot find this.

I have already changed /etc/sysconfig/keyboard to contain:

    KEYTABLE="us-latin1"

and !etc!sysconfig!i18n to contain:

    LANG="en_US"

This successfully changes the mapping of the textual console,
but gnome seems to override this when Gnome or X starts up.

What am I missing here...

Thanks.
Mark Utting.