Re: gnome magicdev constantly accessing hd?

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 03:14:25AM -0700 or thereabouts, Martin Brown wrote:
>     installed RH7.1 Deluxe Workstation
>     used up2date agent and updated everything
> When I do 'startx' one of my scsi hd's (linux is installed on
> scsi drives) takes a lite hit every 2 seconds.  Exit gnome it stops.
> Enter gnome it starts again.  Looking at 'top', I started killing
> processes.  When I killed 'magicdev' it stopped.
>
> '/var/log/messages has filled up with tons of:
>
> Sep 24 02:54:31 localhost kernel: sym53c895-0-<4,0>: sync msgout:
> 1-3-1-a-1f.
> I installed all the latest ximian packages, too, hoping that might fix it,
> but the problem continues.

magicdev is the package which checks for whether there's anything
in the cd drives and sticks icons of it on the desktop, plays audio
CDs, and so on. (rpm -qi magicdev for the details. I can't check
that because I don't install it :))

If you are happy just mounting data CDs or playing music CDs yourself
when you need to, you can nuke it quite happily with rpm -e magicdev.

You can report magicdev bugs at bugzilla (either RH or Gnome's, I
think).

Telsa