Gnome and Enlightenment Backgrounds

Hi,

Just upgraded to Gnome 1.4,  I want to control my backgrounds with enlightenment, but Gnome puts it's backgrounds over Enlightenment.  This is the case even when I turn off Gnome Backgrounds in the control panel.  I can see the E background  when I jump from one virtual desktop to another and I can see the correct background in my E pagers.  It's almost like Gnome is running on top of everything.  How do I move the E backgrounds forward?

Thanks

Kevin