Unable to build Gnome apps with Ximian Gnome and Debian 2.2r3

I have a problem compiling some packages for Gnome under the latest
stable release of Ximian Gnome.  When I run ./configure it informs me
that it cannot find gnomeConf.sh.  I have looked around on the net and
found some references to an rpm called the Ximian development package
and also have seen some references to a program I don't have called
gnome-config.  I am using Debian GNU/Linux 2.2r3 with the 2.2.19
kernel.  Is there a Debian package from Ximian or somewhere that I can
use to install the files I need to build the latest versions of Gnome
applications?  Any help that can be provided would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
James