Re: Gnome Panel disappeared

On Wed, 2001-10-24 at 16:35, Art Ross wrote:
> The default panel that comes with the Gnome install has worked for me
> ever since the install months ago.  Well, last night when shutting down
> X Windows, I noticed some errors.  I was leaving work so left the
> problem till the next day.  When returning to work and booting my Linux
> RH7.1 machine, the panel didn't appear in GNOME.  I tried the root
> account and it was also missing the panel.  I've reviewed the GNOME
> User's Guide but cannot find anything addressing this problem.
>   Thinking my configuration files in the user account were corrupted, I
> changed the names of the .gnome directories and restarted GNOME.  No
> such luck!!!  The same effect occurred.
>   Does anyone have a clue?

Have you tried running "panel" from an xterm? If you get errors from
this then there are problems, otherwise that will get you a panel back.
If root doesn't have a panel either, then it might be a deeper problem,
but you should at least get error messages in the terminal.

If you can't get access to a terminal, backup you'r ~/.xinitrc file and
create a new one with one line: "xterm". Then use that xterm to run the
panel.

--Ben