Adding launcher to menu

Hi, sorry if this is obvious but I'm a new user and
can't figure it out and can't find it answered in the
archives.

I'm running RH 7.1 with Gnome and want to add
launchers to the Programs/Applications menu. When I
right click on "Applications" at the top of the menu
list I get the context menu, but the "Add new item to
this menu" and "Properties" items are grayed out. I am
able to add a launcher to the panel just fine.

Help please?

Thanks,

Rick Horowitz