Refreshing Desktop after creating new desktop item

After I (manually since I'm running Mandrake with Gnome 1.4 and Nautilus)
create a new desktop link, to gvim for example, how do I force Gnome (or
Nautilus) to refresh the desktop settings to read the new properties from the
"app.desktop" file? Instead of starting the desired app, the icon starts the
same app as the icon it was copied from. This is annoying!

John LeMay Jr.
Senior Enterprise Consultant