menu editor

i am in Gnome logged in as a user, I am wanting to change/move around things
in the Gnome menu. I logged in as root and i get a totally different menu.
Gnome.org's user guide states that an ordinary user can only add to, delete
from, and edit the User Menus. It wont let me do this...every action i try
to do it states i dont have permission to do this.  I am basically trying to
get all Internet apps in one menu and all network apps in one and office
apps in one and settings and such all in their own instead of all OVER the
freakin place.
Rob