panel expands icons (?)

I'm running an updated RH7.2 with gnome/sawfish.

I'm running 1280x1024, and my panel is 48 pixels high, and a sawfish setting of
0 pixel spacing between panel icons and panel edges.  I used gimp to look at
the size of some of the default icons in my panel.  They were 32x32 pixels.

I used gimp to create a 32x32 pixel icon for one of my apps.  And used the
menu editor to assign it to my app which I put in the utilties menu.
When I drag my app from the gnome menu and drop it on the panel, it gets
expanded to nearly the full height of the panel, about 44 or 45 pixels.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

I couldn't find anything in gnome bugzilla.

Thank you.
--
                            - Martin J. Brown, Jr. -
                            - mjbjr beaudesign com -