Re: Gnome speed

> Here's another idea: I think the man wrote that he had reformated his
> harddisk and reinstalled.  Hard disks are not equally fast everywhere -
> maybe the new installation put the important files + swap on the outer
> cylinders whereas the old one didn't?  (not unlikely if there originally
> were several operating systems installed or there were some relics of a
> Windows install)
  ^^^^^^^

windows free for over 3 years, and proud of it :-)

Maybe for the files, but I only reformated teh one partition, I left teh
swap and home partions as is (migrated home top ext3 though).

Any way, even once loaded it feels more responsive, snappier is the
word.

Is ximian adding some extra overhead for debugging etc?

--

  Rob Brown-Bayliss