problem with Ximian and Redhat 7.1I

Periodically ( never when I'm using my box ), sawfish dies, along with a
number of other apps, galeon, evolution, xemacs, etc.  xterms don't die.

I also lose my mounts, and some configuration information.  For example,
if I change the launcher properties for gnome-terminal, the  changes
will be lost after this event.

This happens perhaps once a day.  This began when I installed Redhat
7.1.  I installed Redhat7.1, removed Ximian, and reinstalled Ximian.  I
didn't remove the various gnome configuration files in my home
directory.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I would go about debugging
this?  I'm about to uninstall Ximian, remove the settings in my home,
and reinstall.  But I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.

TIA,

Michael Teixeira