some problems after 1st gnome install on suse 7.2

Hello gnome-list,

finally i gor ximian gnome running on my suse 7.2.
a number of problems though:
(1) at the first start, when gnome does this kind of autoconfiguration,
the screen oscillates between white with the nice gnome desktop icons,
and the ximian background without any icons. i was able to stop this oscillation with my
(user) login, where i now have the ximian background and a meaningless
standard icon for all links on the desktop. :( also, i cannot move these
icons. as root, i was never able to stop the oscillation, so i had to
use alt-str-back to exit.
(2) then i tried to start redcarpet as (user), i typed in the su
password, and the desktop froze. using redcarpet without root-privileges is no
problem. that appears to be the same problem as in my previous
(original) suse gnome installation, where, under gnome, my su password
wasn't recognised (no prob with kde though ...)
(3) i couldn't figure out where to chenge the panle to a cde-like
panel after the first login ...

any ideas?

thx,

tobias