Re: Gnome/Solaris 8 sparc dt login problems

Colin Henry wrote:
Hi,

Peter many thanks for the link, got slightly further. It seems that it has
something to do with mounting a users home area using NFS. If I use my login
I get two errors:

Nov  2 09:13:52 ln13d2swk nfs: [ID 664466 kern.notice] NFS link failed for
server ln16p800hds: error 2 (RPC: Can't decode result)

Colin,

This NFS error has nothing whatsoever to do with gnome. Put on your SA hat or talk to your SA.
Home directory automounting occurs under any windowing system. Even if you telnet to that box
your directory should be automounted.

which appears in the /var/adm/messages log and

** WARNING **: Unable to lock ICE authority file: /home/henryc/.ICEauthority

If I override my home dir in /etc/passwd and create a local home area then I
can log in. I've tried copying the created files and dirs from the local
home area to my NFS one, but it still dies with the same errors.

I've truss and snoop outputs available if required.

Just do a showmount -e server from the client computer to check out the nfs rpc's.

Cheers,
Henry

Many thanks in advance,

Colin