gnome and db problems

I tried the --enable-prefer-db1 option when compiling gnome-libs,
gnome-core, and some other gnome apps that I was having problems with
since I installed sleepy cat db-3.   It didn't seem to help at all.  I
tried temporarily removing db-3 and recompiling and that seemed to work.

I home the gnome folks fix this problem as there seems to be
a number of data base libraries out there.  If gnome only works with one
of them it should look for that one and no other.

Fred