configuration question

Hi, folks,

I was assigned a task to provide an interface to configure an
application in GNOME.  There are five variable_name-value pairs to
be configured.  The requirements are:

1. The interface is integrated in GNOME nicely.
2. Only root can modify this configuration.

It suffices the requirement 1 nicely if I can add an icon either in
"Control Center" or in the menu Programs->Settings.  Is this a
possible approach?

Is it possible to address the requirement 2 with this approach?

If the answers are no, would there be a solution, other than providing
a completely new window program?

Thank you very much.

--
Concentration ... Naomaru Itoi