integrating cmdline and gui

An idea for gnome panel:
(or any gui that have buttons/menus to run programs)

The problem is that we don't see the stdout/stderr of the X programs.
Of course we could run them from a command line, but we don't know
a priori when we will like to see the output, and it would be a total
mess to have one xterm for every X process. :)
The solution is the launcher (the panel, or file manager, whatever)
to redirect the stderr to a temp file like /tmp/xproc/<pid>.stderr
An applet could give the user easy access to this information.

Another cool feature: filters.

The launchers could have an additional properties page called
"output log" with:

- A check button to save the log
- Another check button to apply the list of filters
- A list of filters (with new/edit/del buttons)

Each filter have a regular expression (or just a simple string and
'case' checkbox) and action(s) to be performed on a hit: beep, display a
msgbox, whatever.

--
Rodolfo Borges mail com