Re: Blocking Access

deedsmis aculink net (2001-03-31 at 1059.12 -0700):
> > don't give them the root password.
> I'm referring to the Menu Settings, System, ... for personal options.

Two options:

- change the binaries to be only executable by a group, and only put
on it those people you want to allow. Radical and could derive in
"GNOME sucks, the manual says this and it does not work" or worse.

- teach your users not to fuck up things. They can only break their
own items, normally people do not want that. And if they break it,
they learn, it is like kids and painful things (with basic difference
that IIRC GNOME is not lethal as a gas kitchen can be).

I see few reasons for the radical approach. Even demo installs can
avoid it with the advantage of begin full working demos, like removing
config and creating a new one in each login. So I see zero reasons,
ATM.

I would like to know what really is so important to force things,
which can create other problems (eye problems, ie) or unhappiness ("my
boss is dictator", ie), vs freedom. Please share the reason.

GSR