Re: Problem with pager

On 29 Mar 2001 09:03:25 +0200, Alessandro Coppelli wrote:

>   Hi to all.
>
>     I have this simple problem : ( RedHat 7.0 )
>
>       when start "startx" I obtain
> ------
>              Desk guide Alert
>
>            Gnome desktop guide (pager) you are not
>            running a gnome compliant window manager.
>            Gnome support by the window manager is strongly
>            recommended for proper desk guide operation .
>
> -------
>
>     I have reinstalled Xfree, sawfish, gnome but nothing.
>
>     I can't work with my PC : all the windows are in top-left and
>     can't move it ( there isn't the top blue bar )
>
>      Where is the problem ???
>
>          Alessandro

It looks like you don't have a window manager running. As you may know,
the X Windows system needs a program to do with Windows and MacOS do on
their own--put a titlebar on windows. If you can, run gnomecc, go to the
``Window Manager'' section and select a window manager (such as Sawfish)
then hit OK. All should be well...

Out of curiosity, what does your /home/username/.xinitrc file say?

--Ben