subroutine, then continue ("return" followed by "continue" in gdb),
everything is back to normal. Stack trace just after attaching is:

     (gdb) where
     #0  0x85eec92 in ?? ()
     #1  0x86a0eb5 in ?? ()
     #2  0x86b1329 in ?? ()
     #3  0x815673c in miClearToBackground ()
     #4  0x816b3b4 in miSpriteInitialize ()
     #5  0x80b0f0c in ProcClearToBackground ()
     #6  0x80aee96 in Dispatch ()
     #7  0x80bff8b in main ()
     #8  0x4006ff31 in __libc_start_main (main=0x80bfa20 <main>,
     argc=4, ubp_av=0xbffffd44, init=0x806af68 <_init>,
     fini=0x8175a0c <_fini>, rtld_fini=0x4000e274 <_dl_fini>,
     stack_end=0xbffffd3c) at ../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:129
     (gdb)

However, and this is where the panel comes into the picture, I can only
reproduce the problem if either a "menu panel" is open, or if a sliding
panel is about to come into view just as the machine is suspended. I
guess the "panel movement" in general - for instance the whole thing
sliding in or the menu panel's clock being updated - may have something
to do with it , but everything is still fine even if I run a lot of
applets that continually update their display.

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas what is wrong?

--
# rpm -q gnome-core XFree86 apmd
gnome-core-1.2.4-0_helix_2

XFree86 driver is "neomagic".