Re: is gnome-core sufficient to install Gnome desktop?

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 04:31:54AM -0000 or thereabouts, Vasu Kulkarni V wrote:
> HI,
>     i downloaded the latest unstable version of gnome1.4 core(source files)?
>  is it sufficient to install gnome-desktop.
> with ./configure , make , and  make install.
> presently i am using kde on red had 6.2 on intel platform.
> I am new to this. please give me more details.

If you mean you have only got gnome-core-1.4.0-tar.gz, then no, I don't
think it is. I think it wants at least a new version of gnome-libs and
probably of control-center, and those may want new versions of a great
many other files.

There's a FAQ on compiling GNOME, but its suggested order applies to
GNOME 1.2. The details about "what do I do with a tarball?" and
"what are prefixes and do I need them?" will be the same, though.
Several suggested compile orders have been posted to the gnome-1.4
list as different betas have come out.

FAQ's at http://www.gnome.org/faqs/users-faq/

Speaking from experience, attempting to compile the first beta of
what will be GNOME 1.4 took me a day and then I gave up :)

If you're new and are concerned about doing bad things to your computer,
I strongly suggest that you wait for the final GNOME 1.4 release. RC1
is release candidate 1, which means that we are in theory very close
to GNOME 1.4 proper coming out. (Barring disasters, the last date I saw
was at the end of this month: gnome-1.4 list is where you'd find updates
on that.)  It will still be in tarballs initially, but I would put money
(well, a penny or so) on a variety of rpms and debs showing up within a
week of that, and they're -much- easier to deal with when you're new
to things.

Telsa