Re: Fw: gnome for slackware Linux

"Kevin D. Knerr, Sr." wrote:

> > Slackware users show up regularly on here and IRC, and report varying
> > degrees of success with installing extremely up to date versions. It
> > seems to vary with how far they have taken the "put things precisely
> > where you want" thing and whether they have such things as docbook
> > tools, the Gnome variants of those, and other things installed first.
>
>FWIW, I reinstalled all of GNOME up to gmc/Nautilus this weekend by
>compiling sources. (I'm running a Slack 7.1 based system.) To keep
>things simple, I put everything in /usr, since that's where Patrick puts
>the GNOME packages. All the newer tarballs were freshly FTP'd Saturday
>morning (a few hadn't changed, but were recompiled anyway from my
>archived sources).

[snips]

I've just compiled Gnome 1.4.0rc1 from sources
on a Slackware 7.0 based box. As far as I've tested,
it works perfectly, including Nautilus. And evolution 0.9 too, BTW.

Just make sure to use "--prefix=/usr" along with all "./configure".
It should work on Slack 7.1 .

Ximian's Red Carpet is another story. Getting it to run on a Slackware
system won't be a piece of cake... It is also true that slackware users
generaly get their stuff from sources (like I do, I must say) rather
than packages (like people do on Debian for example). And so getting
Red Carpet to run on Slackware distros is probably not a high priority.

Fred.