Re: Keyboard question

pims2 dds nl (2001-03-18 at 0844.55 +0100):
> Is there a way to make the windows buttons on my keybord open the pannel
> menu?

Go to Panel Global Config, and in Misc tab, enable the Bindings
section. By clicking in the capture buttons you will only need to push
the keys you want. As the rare symbol keys are normally set to Meta or
another modifier, you will have to hit it plus a normal key (like "X"
or "Z", similar to "Shift + Z", but "Symbol + Z", which will appear
listed as "Meta + Z" or "Mod# + Z" when you use the capture option).

> P.S. I have a MS Natural Keyboard (the only micro$oft product i like :))

Maybe you will have to play with xmodmap cmd to change config if the
key is not detected, it should if you chose the right model when
installing. Try xev and see if the key produces something.

You will also need to use "xmodmap" if you want it to work as normal
key instead as a modifier. But trust me, it is better as modifier, cos
you can do all your window management with it (maximize, minizme,
change desktop), instead of wasting it with a single task. Having it
as Hyper (L and R) removes a lot of problems, not more "When I hit Alt
+ Mouse1 it moves the window instead of doing foo function of bar app,
as manual describes".

Note: I dunno why but my computer does not launch menu panel ("Hyper +
X" here), I will wait for 1.4, maybe it is fixed there. It worked with
Gnome 1.2.2, but not since I got the 1.2.4 core, it just flashes
focus. I do not care much either, I just used it for the Log Out entry
and a few more things.

I also found that as I have Hyper_R and Hyper_L, the config tool has
both, but does not allows to use both at the same time. Using a
keycombo it gives Mod4 (plus the normal key), with both Hyper_R and
Hyper_L, which is a lot nicer (I can use any hand, instead of being
locked into usin only one side).

GSR