Re: PgUp/PgDown - why Shift???

The idea is that if you allow the gnome-terminal to use the PgUp/PgDn keys
to scroll, then they will not be available to other terminal-based
applications such as emacs or pico. You can try it for yourself:

Open a gnome-terminal and type lots of stuff so that you have a good
screenful of lines. Type emacs -nw, and open a largish text file (C-x C-f
to open a file). You can then scroll around the file in emacs using
PgUp/PgDn. Using the shift modifier, it scrolls around the terminal
itself, which is not really what you want. If gnome-terminal grabbed the
PgUp/PgDn keys, they would not be available to applications like emacs and
they would have to use awkward key combinations, so you have to make some
form of compromise somewhere.

Hope that helps,

Donald Tournier.