Re: command line reset?

hobbit aloss ukuu org uk (2001-03-03 at 2342.51 +0000):
> There are some programs you don't want to do this to. I have never
> dared try it in Linux, but it used to be possible on some old UNIXes
> to kill off 'init', for example. 'init' is the ultimate parent process:
> when that dies, everything does. I would assume you can't do this, but
> I wouldn't bet my filesystem on it :) And you might be running something
> not-Linux, and I have no clue what other UNIXen do there.

Under Linux too, at least via SysReq keycombos (Alt + SysReq + L), and
quoting "'l' Send a SIGKILL to all processes, INCLUDING init. (Your
system will be non-functional after this.". AKA Danger, read the docs
and find better solutions (like reboot after syncing and unmounting).

Maybe someday I will try to nuke init via kill, top or similar after
remounting read only, and in a non RAID system, cos last time I did a
fast reboot on a RAID system it had to recheck the disk (RAID level,
not filesystem level, but not fun anyway).

GSR