Re: no gnome

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 10:36:09PM +0000 or thereabouts, Mike White wrote:
> I tried installing the latest version of Helix Gnome last night. After
> hours of downloading the rpms, the installer worked for three seconds and
> crashed. I downloaded the installer and tried installing manually as per
> the instructions, but the installer would not see the files. Then I
> decided to install the rpms one-by-one. I installed them in the order
> that was recommended, and everything seemed to go well. I re-booted and
> the new GDM started up like it should have. The problem is, there is no
> Gnome in the session drop down list.
>
> Anyone know how I can get it back?

You don't say what distribution you are using, but "no Gnome in the
drop-down list for gdm" sounds like Mandrake.

Suggestions on support ximian com and IRC list were to try one of these:
	(a) as root, chmod 755 /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Gnome
	(b) grab the updated gdm package for Mandrake at
http://primates.ximian.com/~peter/gdm-2.0beta4-22mdk_helix_10.i586.rpm
and install it.

If it's not Mandrake, however, I suspect these won't work :)

Telsa