Re: Lost of Helixgnome 1.2 panel

On  1 Mar, Sean Murphy wrote:
> Deleting root's .gnome directory will work, but you will lose all the setting
> you ever had for Gnome, and is far more destructive than what you need to do.

Who said "DELETE"????

Not I. I said "RENAME"--which preserves those mods, ready for
restoration.

BTW--My advice, works for restoring the DEFAULT SETUP for *any* user. I
just phrased my response for the specifics of the case--and chose to
only respond to the question asked. (I'm a sudo'er, myself, Slacker that
I am.)

I really didn't want to start the "logging in as root is unwise" vs.
"I *do* know what I'm doing and I want to login as root" thread again.

> "Kevin D. Knerr, Sr." wrote:

>> The simplest way to have GNOME return to the default setup is to rename
>> ~/.gnome (perhaps to ~/.gnome.old). GNOME will then happily restore the
>> default setup. You can then copy/edit to match any modifications from
>> the .gnome.old to the new .gnome
>>
>> For that matter, if your root panels are identical to your regular user
>> panels, just copy the subdirectory ~/.gnome/panel.d/default. (Don't
>> forget to verify the ownership/perms.)

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel yahoo com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063

Linux: Proof of intelligent life on Earth.