Re: Lost of Helixgnome 1.2 panel

Deleting root's .gnome directory will work, but you will lose all the setting
you ever had for Gnome, and is far more destructive than what you need to do.
All you really need to do is log in as root, open a terminal window, type
"panel &" (without the quotes) and then choose to save your session when you
logout.  That will cause gnome to remember that user root wants a panel
running and will put when up each time you log in as root.

As usual, you should try to avoid logging in as root as much as possible.  You
could always log in as yourself, then 'su' to root, or use something like sudo
to give yourself root power only when needed.  Logging in as root is usually
equivalent to using a chainsaw as a can opener.  Sure it might work Ok, but
when something goes wrong, it goes REALLY wrong!