Trouble getting GNOME to work

Hi!

I got my XF86Config set up properly, and I can startx and get into GNOME as
root.  However, the other user account I have can't seem to get it started.
It loads, then immediately crashes with the following error:

Gnome-ERROR**: Could not set mode 0700 on private per-user Gnome directory
</home/mkeyes/.gnome_private> - aborting
Aborting...
Gnome-ERROR**: Could not set mode 0700 on private per-user Gnome directory
</home/mkeyes/.gnome_private> - aborting
Aborting...

...back to the prompt.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Matt