gnome-list gnome org

Hi!
	I'm (almost) brand new to Linux, and, in a bold effort, am starting with
Slackware and Debian.  I haven't moved to Debian yet, but I installed
Slackware last night (latest version).  However, when I login and attempt to
enter gnome-session I receive the following error:

/dev/dsp: No such device

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
SESSION_MANAGER=local/TOMSERVO:/tmp/.ICE-unix/207
/dev/dsp: No such device

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
root TOMSERVO blah blah blah...

I installed almost all the Slackware components, but I did only install the
defaults for X Server display devices.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!!

(obviously TOMSERVO is my server name)

Matt