Nautilus desktop under Gnome.

I just installed Linux Mandrak 8.0.  I am running Gnome and Sawfish.  When I log in under root a normal desktop comes up as expected.  When I log in as any user other than root it appears that Nautilus runs the desktop.  The icons look different and taskman shows nautilis running many apps even if I don't have nautilus open.  If I kill those apps then the normal desktop (the one I get under root) will show up underneath, but almost immediately nautilus restarts, and once again I am starring at the nautilus desktop.  How can I turn off the nautilus desktop??