gnome panel and swallowed apps

Is there a way to prevent an application swallowed by the gnome panel from
having the small bar attached to it's slot in the panel (like the bar
attached to the left of the tasklist_applet).  I run several windowmaker
dockapps swallowed, and they work wonderfully except for that bar; I've
searched for an option regarding it to no avail... Or perhaps there is a
replacement/approximation of the windowmaker dock that may work better than a
swallowed app?  Thanks in advance.

Mike Culbertson
Senior UNIX Sysadmin