quirky controll center behavior]

> RH7.1 current/gnome 1.4 current: while in controll center i'm getting
> weird things happening where the "display" on right for say background
> shows up outside of the constraints of the controll panel
> window.......???..thats never happened ...hmm

the above is current..i just had to forward from draft folder so its
relevant to this message ...:-)

also when I click on say background,,window manager,,screen saver within
controll panel it doesn't always come up right away or reasonably
so.....sometimes huge delays.......i'm guessing all this weirdness is
related to my current lack of desktop sounds
somehow/sluggishness.......where do i start to track this down ? :-)
&/or is anyone else seeing these issues......these issues dissapear once
inside kde so its likely a gnome related issue not OS related?....have
there been any errata i've missed or gnome issues i'm unaware of that
might affect my system in the ways i've outlined........

my sound is weird as well i have all necessasry ( as from before and
everything worked fine ) items for it in modules.conf but sound refuses
to work for desktop sounds only cd audio and another weird thing is when
( and its relevant to other apps as well ) when i start gnorpm it gives
me errors about ioctl device failing and i'll paste it here as well

thanks :)
lee
-==========================================
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit stereo.
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit mono.
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8.192Khz, 8bit mono.
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Audio device open for 8.192Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8Khz, 8bit mono.
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Sound device inadequate for Esound. Fatal.

thanks
lee
-===