Re: GNOME Window Manager

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 04:42:50PM +0100, Sander Vesik wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2001, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Besides, a true GNOME-only WM would offer a lot of benefits besides
> > configuration.  Common look and feel, for example.  Every WM I've
> > seen, Sawfish included, doesn't fit in with GNOME so far as its
> > dialogs (which a basic WM shouldn't be using that often, but still)
> > are concerned.  And every WM offers functionality that duplicates some
> > of the GNOME desktops, in even slight ways.  A smaller, lighter,
> > faster WM would always be a benefit.  It's like including libfreetype
> > in console only apps - it's functionality, memory, and extra room for
> > bugs that you *don't* need.
> >

> It really does sound lkike you (and possibly a couple of others) want to
> take say twm sources and hack on them to achieve the 'seamlessly
> integrates with Gnome, uses gconf for preferences, directly interacts with
> panel & desktop manager, etc.' window manager.
>
> What's keeping you?

I've barely ever hacked on GUI code, for a start.  I'm mucking around with GNOME applets and gnome-core right now, and I'm going to help make a GTK+ GUI for Xine.

Second, It'll be forever before I even get the above two things done, since I'm involved in four rather active projects.  ~,^

That's my excuse, anyways.