Ximian Gnome 1.4 to remote display over SSH

I'm trying to get 1.4 to work over an SSH-forwarded X display, and I've having
what I believe are session management issues. The first time I ssh to the server
and run gnome (ssh -X server and then /usr/bin/gnome-session --disable-sound),
Ximian prompts me to convert settings, creates a .gnome directory, and launches
properly. However, when I logout, running apps don't exit--they just lose the
window manager decorations. The next time, I launch gnome, it freezes partway
through the splash screen. If I delete .gnome/session, I can then start it.

Gnome runs properly if I use XDMCP (X -query server); it also runs properly on
the server itself. I've tried using gdm's Gnome session script
(/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome) without any luck. I'm running Debian 2.2r3 on kernel
2.4.5 and OpenSSH 1.2.3. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Daniel Myers
daniel exhaustednamespace net