Tuning GTK widgets to suit low res TV output

Hi,

I'm developing an application for display on a TV.  I want to use GTK+ for
the user interface.

But, as you probably know, TV displays are very poor quality.  Standard
GTK widgets are too small, fonts are too small, and fine details lead to
flicker due to interlace.  Results are not good!

The GTK theme interface seems to be what I want; but I'm trying to avoid
out-of-proportion effort.

Can anyone point me to some suitable theme - at least a starting point?

I guess upping font sizes will scale up the widgets automatically.  But
the one pixel frames etc do flicker.  Does this mean that I need a pixmap
or engine based theme?

Thanks,
Steve Davies