gnome main menu is gone! and wont come back..

hi,

i have just installed gnome 1.4 with a suse linux 7.2 system. before i
started the new gnome, i deleted all my gnome configurations in my home
dir before. the when gnome is up there is no gnome main dir, adding the
main menu to the panel wont work either. it just doesnt do it. i have
experienced this alreay on another machine. the only difference i have
noticed is that the user is running tcsh.

thank you for help,
Axel Siebenwirth