compiling galeon - finding vfs

I'm trying to compile galeon against the gnome libraries in /opt/gnome
on my system and it keeps complaining that vfs isn't installed which it
is.  Running ./configure --help returns a whole lot of gnome options
that have to be set to the prefix /opt/gnome but vfs seems to have been
overlooked, is there a way I can fix this?  It also has wierd 'test'
error I've never seen before, here are the last few lines...

checking for gnome-config... /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-config
checking for GNOME - version >= 1.2.0... ./configure: test: too many
arguments
./configure: test: too many arguments
yes
checking for additional GNOME modules... *** vfs library is not
installed
configure: error:
*** GNOME 1.2.0 or better is required.
*** gnome-vfs 0.6.0 or better is required.
*** libpanel-applet is required (unless --disable-applet is used)

Help?

Thanks,
Steve